Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hooray for the Red. White & Blue!



Yes, I love the 4th the July and I love taking time to bring the Celebration of this great holiday to all aspects of my home. I like to think of it as a fun way to show my patriotism. How about you? What are you doing this weekend to show off your love for the USA!?!

You can get started outside. Maybe you want to plant a few flowers around the yard that bloom with Red, White & Blue blossoms. I love making a planter right by the front door. What a welcoming signal for all your friends. I also have always had a flag poll in the front yard and love flying “Old Glory”, not just this time of year but you will find it flying all year round at our house. Now, if you have a front porch – this would be the next place for some great Red, White & Blue decorations. Most of us have a chair , swing or glider on that porch so I would encourage you to think about how you can add some color there too. Maybe take a quilt or pillow in these great colors and add them here. If you have a small table be sure and put some cut flowers. Something that I have enjoyed in the front of my home over the years and especially at this time of they year, is candles. I love those big old jars that you can get with pickles, etc in the. When they are empty they are perfect for candles. These make great, safe luminaries. Just put some sand in the bottom and then add red, white or blue candles. Now take some rag ribbon and tie it around the top of the jar. I put one on each step going up to my front door. It really adds a festive touch.

The last place out front is my front door. Let’s not forget about that. I have a huge metal star that I like to put on the front door. But I have also been known to use a wreath with touches of Red, White & Blue. Ok, so one last thing that is fun to use in front of the house, are those wonderful buntings and banners. I have often hung one right by the front door, or on the railing of the porch. Are you getting the picture? Everyone will be able to see that your home is Saluting the 4th of July!!!

As you move indoors, there are many ways to keep those wonderful colors going throughout your home. The mantle of the fireplace is great place to show off any memorabilia that you may have. This may also be a perfect spot for an old photo of someone in your family who has served in the Armed Forces of our country. There are even lots of patriotic garlands that you could use here as well. You might want to have a special print that you highlight at this time of year. Maybe you would replace one that is already hanging on your wall with it. Don’t forget to add those wonderful red, white & blue candles throughout the house.

Now another way I like to use that patriotic spirit this time of year, is with my food. What about taking one of your clear vases or glass bowls and layering a beautiful dessert with blueberries, strawberries and pudding? This makes a very special and eye appealing addition to your 4th of July décor. Pull out all the stops this 4th of July. Invite your family and friends in to enjoy and celebrate our Freedom!!!

Check out my website for some great sales going on during the month of July. Many of the items I have mentioned can be found there.
www.athome.com/patdempsey

No comments:

Post a Comment