Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A New Year, A New Decorating Resolution...


Isn’t the New Year an exciting time for you? I know it is for me. I always feel like my slate is being whipped clean and that I have a new beginning. Not just in the impact of my calendar but also in many other areas of my life.


A New Beginning at Home
One area, my home, is also impacted by that new beginning. I can’t wait to get the tree and Holiday decorations taken down and put away, so that I can start getting things back in order around the house. It seems like this time each year; I also can’t wait to do something new and different when it comes to decorating my home. Things look so lost without all those Christmas decorations.
This year my attention has been turned to things that will be very useful, as well as decorative. My favorite item here is baskets. Using baskets in the closet to organize the closet shelves and make them appear like part of my overall decorating scheme is high on my list. How about the laundry room shelves with baskets as well? I have even taken to using the actual basket as a shelf on the wall. It can be a great source for decorating. Don’t forget that you can also spray paint most baskets to fit the décor of your room. Baskets are great in your home office as well. Line your shelves with them, use them on your desk or counter and hang them on the wall. You will be amazed at how fun and useful they will be and what a great time – the New year to be making sure that you are organized and efficient as you go forward into your “New Beginning”.
Recently I came across a wonderful idea that uses containers as a decoration as well as an organizational idea. I went to Home Depot and purchased some tin cans that are the sizes of paint cans. Now use these cans in the bathroom attached to the wall with towels and bath accessories in them. What a cute look it gave the wall and everything stays well organized within the cans. Another great place for these is in a child’s room to organize things above their dresser or desk area. Crayons, hair accessories, Legos – you name it and just about anything fits into those neat little cans. You can use a lot or just a few. If you were really creative, you could even paint them to go along with your decor for that room. When you attach them to the wall, you will nail/screw them to the wall with the bottom of can against the wall. This leaves the opening facing outward for you to fill.
Don't Wait
So, what are you waiting for? Get those creative juices flowing. As you think about ways you can decorate your home for the New Year make sure and think of some that incorporate functionality with the decorative!

No comments:

Post a Comment